Fossil Digs with H.M.S. Beagle
2013 Park University June Fossil Dig for Science Club has been announced and emails were sent out to all Science Club families!
Watch your email for further information!
Science Club members are invited to join Paleontologist Gil Parker on our Science Club Fossil Adventure at a special dig site on the Park University Campus.
Participants will be looking for fossils and, with some exceptions, will be able to keep the fossils they find. The dig area is rich with Pennsylvania era plant fossils. Mr. Parker will provide assistance in searching and identifying the fossils. Parents are encouraged to accompany their children.
We will meet at H.M.S. Beagle at 9 am and then car pool together to the dig site.
Science Club Fossil Outings (Suitable for students Aged 5 to 14 years) run from 9 am to noon:Fee: $5 each for Science Club Members; Non-Members, $10.
(There is no fee for parents or adults accompanying Science Club Members.)
Space is Limited - Reservations are Required. You must come by the store the morning of the Fossil Adventure to pick up a wristband to show that you are registered for the outing. Please call us at 816-587-9998 or email to email@example.com to make your reservation. Fee for students who are not members of the Science Club is $10 each.
- Insect Repellent!!! There will be mosquitoes, chiggers and ticks!
- Hat and gloves. You might also want hiking boots or similar footwear... it will be muddy!
- Water to drink
- Notebook and pen
- Chisel or large flathead screwdriver to pry layers apart
- Rock hammer (optional)
- Small garden shovel or trowel
- A loupe or magnifying glass
- Tissue paper, foil, or paper towels to wrap specimens
- Small sacks or boxes to carry specimens